Whats on this Week
For Masses, streaming, and church open times see panel alongside
For events for students and young adults see the page here.
Tuesday / 7:30pm: Study and Discussion on Zoom – The Character of God
Wednesday 7:30pm Alpha
Thursday / 10am:Advent Group
Saturday / 11am-11:45am Confessions St Joseph’s
Through the weeks of advent we are running an advent group meeting each week at 10am on Thursdays online. Each week we will be looking ahead to the coming Sunday and studying and discussing the Sunday readings as advent preparation. If you are available do join. The link to zoom for the meeting will be posted here each Wednesday ready for Thursday
If you’re unfamiliar with zoom, it should just be a matter of clicking the link we send. See our help pages.
Fitzherbert Community Hub
Many of you will have enjoyed visiting the community cafe run by the Real Junk Food Project at St John the Baptist before lockdown. It was really popular with parishioners and members of the wider local community alike but because of the condition of the parish hall and kitchen we were only able to open one lunchtime a week, despite such high demand. You will also be aware of the Food Hub, coordinated by Brighton Table Tennis Club, that has been operating out of St John the Baptist. Covid-19 has exposed the extent of food poverty in the area that we serve and the food bank is now providing food for 300 people a week and ready cooked meals to 45 refugee/asylum seeker families, some of whom have no recourse to public finance or cooking facilities.
Building on these two initiatives we are now working in partnership with our three co-located grassroots charities, Voices in Exile, Brighton Table Tennis Club and Real Junk Food Project to raise funding to redevelop the parish hall at St John the Baptist, creating a flexible, multi-purpose, socially inclusive Community Hub with a commercial standard teaching kitchen, dining area, food bank, full disability access (including a lift to the upper rooms) and additional meeting spaces. Central to our plans is the provision of a daily “pay as you feel” (customers pay what they feel the food is worth or what they can afford) community café using food otherwise destined for landfill. This is an exciting opportunity for us as a Parish as not only will we have access to a lovely new parish hall and cafe but we will be able to live out our faith through social outreach and community building.
Please have a look at the short film in the following link which considers local need and how this project will help:
With our churches closed our income has gone down significantly, whereas our costs haven’t changed. There are a number of ways in which you can donate to us.
In particular look out for our resources pages, providing links to good things to watch, listen to, or read. Also the Prayers of the Faithful are now published weekly on the newsletter page. We would encourage all parishioners to submit potential prayers by email to the office, so that increasingly these do become the prayers of all the faithful.
Lockdown 2 ends after Tuesday, so we are again able to attend Mass from Wednesday, and our previous schedule of Masses and confession will resume:
- Mass – Mass will be streamed daily, or more often when we can. https://www.youtube.com/c/eastbrightoncatholicparish.
- Weekday Masses are at 10am at St John the Baptist except for Thursdays, and at 6pm At St Joseph’s on Wednesday, Thursday and Friday
- Sunday Masses at St Joseph’s are at 11:30 and 5:30 and at St John the Baptist at 6pm Saturday, and 9 and 11
- Confession is at 11 to 11:45 on Saturdays at St Joseph’s
- As attendable Masses are resuming the churches will no longer be opening for private prayer
- There are opportunities for study and discussion during the week – on Tuesday evenings and Thursday mornings http://eastbrightoncatholic.org.uk/news , and we are running an Alpha course on Wednesdays (see ).
- Virtual coffee after Sunday Mass. For the last month we have been encouraging everyone to join us online after the 11:30 Mass as a key chance of getting together as a community, and hearing more about what is about to happen. Even though many people will be attending Mass in person we will still open a zoom session after the streaming of the 11:30 Mass as a chance to get together and hear about arrangements for Easter Masses. All you have to do is click the link that will be posted on our newsfeed (repeated here) and in the chat on youtube.
Tuesday evenings – The Character of God
“the compassionate and gracious God, slow to anger, abounding in love and faithfulness, 7maintaining love to thousands, and forgiving wickedness, rebellion and sin. Yet he does not leave the guilty unpunished “ Exodus 34 6;7
On Tuesday evening we continue our new study and discussion series. For the next few weeks we will follow a bible study based theme of The Character of God.
Join us on Tuesday evenings. Each session is complete it itself, you do not need to come every week, and lasts an hour or just over. We meet online on zoom – the link will be here and on the newsfeed an hour before each meeting. Give it a try
The zoom link for 7:30 is https://zoom.us/j/92580544209
Meeting ID: 925 8054 4209